- Franz Schubert and the Vienna Synagogue
- Jacobson, Joshua R. (Author)
- American Choral Directors Association, August 01, 1997
- Type of resource:
- Digital origin:
- born digital
- Franz Schubert is the only great composer before the twentieth century to compose a setting in Hebrew of the liturgy for the synagogue. This article examines Schubert's unique composition and places it in the context of Vienna's social, cultural, and religious life in the early nineteenth century.
- Originally published in Choral Journal, August 1997, pp. 9-15.
- Subjects and keywords:
- Franz Schubert